Member's Rigs
News & Highlights
Message Forum
Return To Our Homepage
Black List Wheelers Association
Black List Wheelers Association Black List Wheelers Association
Black List Wheelers Association
A home for hardcore off road and other outdoor activities

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AMC 20 disk brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black List Wheelers Association Forum Index -> Psycho Geerage
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UPJ Wheeler
Forums Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: AMC 20 disk brakes Reply with quote

Finally got around to starting my rear disk set up. Here's how it went down

1984 Nissan 300zx rear calipers w/ built in parking brake ($15/pair at pick 'n pull)

New pads ($13)

1996 Geo Tracker 2 door front rotors ($40/pair)

2 pieces of 6"x6"x3/8" steel plate for bracket fab. (free-b)

Total so far: $68

Cut off old backing plate, you need to leave a piece to act as a shim for the bearing.

I got a CAD drawing from a guy on Pirate 4x4, and fabbed a bracket of of 3/8" steel from it.

grind down one of the inside edges to fit the profile of the back of he flange so it fits flush

bolt everything together and you're done! I had to shim the caliper off of the bracket a little to make it fit right. The stock Nissan hoses screw right onto the stock hard lines too! I still have to work on the e-brake cable, I may have to find a place to swedge a new fitting on my cables.

I didnt have a whole lot of time this weekend, so I just did the disks to start. Took it for a spin, and there is a definite improvement even with stock prop. valve and MC, but it still needs some more umpf. I have a ZJ 4 wheel disk proportioning valve that Im gona add, and i need to find a new MC too. I bought a ZJ MC and booster from the J/Y, but the booster wont fit, my clutch MC is in the way, so on to plan B.

Just talked to Van from Vanco Brakes on the phone, and he said that the best thing to do is to NOT replace the stock proportioning valve, that they are all identical and it doesnt matter between disk/drum and disk/disk, and that all of the crap that everyone says about them on the internet is CRAP. He also said that the best improvement as far as a MC is concerned is to do a YJ power brake set up. Ive got one laying around at home, so Ill do that this coming weekend.

Pretty cool guy. He answered all of my questions, and didnt even try to sell me anything.
psychobilly
Forums Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brakes look pretty slick. I'm not sure why van would tell you proportioning valves are all the same though. Maybe on your manual brake heep there is only a distribution valve that simply splits the flow front to rear and thats what he was getting at. In that case you wouldnt need to swap it unless you really wanted to fine tune everything.
UPJ Wheeler
Forums Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

he said he's built / rebuilt thousands on proportioning valves, and they are all the same inside. "disk/drum , disk/disk doesnt matter....."

Ill give the YJ stuff a try, and if I think it could still be better, Ill swap the valves for good measure.
psychobilly
Forums Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with the yj stuff you will have much much improved brakes, like day and night.
Gonecheenin
BLWA Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd skip the YJ stuff & do ZJ/XJ stuff

My YJ brakes suck on the trails compared to my ZJ's brakes (on road in high their both decent) and at the axle end their practically the same thing so its gotta be the booster/MC assembly (supposedly all ZJ's & some XJ's a dual diaphram?) that allows a 5000lb rig to stop better then a 3500lb rig on the same oversized rubber

SO I'm hoping to swap a ZJ/XJ booster (or a chevy truck one cause my bluggys brakes were sweet) onto my YJ in the future

As a side note; King is the man!
DodgeMudder
BLWA Club Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonecheenin wrote:
I'd skip the YJ stuff & do ZJ/XJ stuff

My YJ brakes suck on the trails compared to my ZJ's brakes (on road in high their both decent) and at the axle end their practically the same thing so its gotta be the booster/MC assembly (supposedly all ZJ's & some XJ's a dual diaphram?) that allows a 5000lb rig to stop better then a 3500lb rig on the same oversized rubber

SO I'm hoping to swap a ZJ/XJ booster (or a chevy truck one cause my bluggys brakes were sweet) onto my YJ in the future

Hmmm, I've never had an issue w/ the brakes on my YJ, especially now running the disc/ferd 8.8 set-up, I have enough brakes to stop my YJ nd my buddies fullsize going down hill. We were towing the YJ and no issues using it's brakes to stop both rigs.
UPJ Wheeler
Forums Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent looked into mounting the ZJ booster onto the YJ firewall bracket yet. I guess its possible, but you'd have to fab a push rod I would imagine. Unless the YJ push rod will work with the ZJ booster.

I found a write up where a bunch of CJ guys were drilling some holes and mounting the ZJ booster and MC right to the firewall, no other fab required, but that wont work for me since I have a hydro clutch. The clutch MC is in the way, like I said before.

Ive read that YJ boosters were dual diaphragm. Is this inaccurate?
Gonecheenin
BLWA Founding Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPJ Wheeler wrote:
Ive read that YJ boosters were dual diaphragm. Is this inaccurate?

Not totally sure, but I think their single diaphram

its not that the overall braking system isn't decent, the YJ booster just isn't powerfull enough from what I've seen

On road they seem just fine, its off road in low trying not to fall off a obsticle where they suck donkey balls, but it has plenty of pedal firmness & will stop for you, you just gotta stand on the pedal for all your worth
That tells me the booster is the problem

As a side note; King is the man!
UPJ Wheeler
Forums Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got the YJ booster and master in... I was gona have to extend the stock lines from the stock proportioning valve anyhow, so I decided since I was gona have to bend a few lines anyhow I might as well install the ZJ 4 wheel disk valve too.... If what Van says is correct, then it doesnt matter if I swapped it or not, so I figured... what the hell.

There was only 1/8" difference in CJ and YJ push rods so I originally didnt mess with the rod length.... had a real spongy pedal after lots of bleeding. So I went in and made the rod adjustable, and now has great pedal feel and stops on a dime!!!! I still just barely cant lock the wheels (you can tell they are on the verge though), but its 200% better than it was!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Black List Wheelers Association Forum Index -> Psycho Geerage All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: